I love homemade guacamole, so when I discovered Trader Joe’s Reduced-Guilt Guacamole Dip, I almost cried tears of joy. At just one Weight Watchers SmartPoint per serving, it’s a FABULOUS choice for a clean, healthy diet. Of course, not everyone lives near a Trader Joe’s, so I decided to create my own Guilt-Free Chunky Guacamole Dip using just a few simple ingredients available at your local supermarket.
My version uses Hass avocados (lower in fat than other types of avocados), non-fat Greek yogurt, fresh tomatoes and chopped red onion for extra bulk and flavor. The original Trader Joe’s version contains chopped jalapeno, but since the Hubs is allergic to them, I left them out.
This Guilt-Free Chunky Guacamole Dip is perfect with dipping tortilla chips or veggies, or as a topping for eggs, salad, sandwiches, soups, grilled chicken, burritos, and pretty much anything that needs a dollop of flavor.
- 1 3/4 Hass Avocados
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop the insides of 1 1/2 avocados into a large mixing bowl.
2. Dice half of the remaining avocado (that would be 1/4 of an avocado) and set aside. You’ll have 1/4 of an avocado left for another recipe. This really only matters if you’re counting SmartPoints. That extra bit of avocado bumps you to 2 SP per serving. If you don’t care about points, then just dice up the whole remaining half of the avocado and set it aside!
3. In the large mixing bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. It will be lumpy, and that’s okay.
4. Add the Greek yogurt, fresh lime juice, and garlic, then stir until it well’s combined.
5. If you want a super creamy base for your dip, then put the mixture in the blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour it back into your mixing bowl. (If that’s too much work for you, then don’t worry about it. Just stir it with a spoon and call it done.)
5. Now add everything else (tomatoes, onions, salt, cilantro and diced avocado) to the bowl and give it a gentle stir. If you want to add a tbsp of finely chopped jalapeno, go for it!
Although you can dig right in, I do think it tastes best when you let it chill for an hour or so. The flavors really come together the longer it sits! You could definitely make this a day ahead if you’re planning to serve a crowd.
This recipe yields about 2 cups, and I calculated servings at an even 2 Tbsp. each. (Confession: I usually eat about 6 Tbsp. at once. It’s just that good.)
Feel free to go to the store right now to get the stuff to make your own tonight! You can thank me later by showing some love in the comments.
Pin it for later.
Here’s the printable version of the recipe.
- 1¾ Hass Avocados
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop the insides of 1½ of the avocados into a large mixing bowl. (You should have half an avocado remaining.)
- Dice half of the remaining avocado and set aside. (You'll have ¼ of an avocado left to use for another recipe.)
- In the large mixing bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until it's mostly creamy with a few lumps.
- Add the Greek yogurt and the juice of one lime and stir until it's combined.
- If you want a super creamy base for your dip, toss in the garlic and add the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend for 20 seconds or so until smooth. If you want it extra chunky or don't have a lot of time, just stir in the garlic and skip this step!
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, diced avocado and salt.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Chill for an hour before serving for best flavor!